Still Life

Recently I submitted a photograph to the Heide At Home Photography Challenge, one of the competitions run by Heide Museum of Modern Art. The photographs were to be of people, objects or pets that share your home, and to be inspired by a selection of photographs from the Heide collection. It was nice of HeideMOMA to run these competitions given that most people in Victoria are under some sort of COVID-19 lockdown and getting pretty bored!

Since I don’t photograph people or pets - I mostly photograph “things” - I chose to submit a still life. I thought it had something in common with one of the featured photographs (though that was a bit of a stretch). I was lucky enough to be awarded runner-up. The judges called my work “beautiful and elegant”. I’ll take that anytime! There is a little prize - not sure what it is yet.


The winning photographs don’t have much in common with the sort of images that judges rate highly in club competitions. There is a different set of criteria at work here.

Also, the competition is not recognised by any of the photographic bodies like APS or FIAP etc, but it might be fun to enter an image or two if they run it again. 

David Mare

Popular posts from this blog

Rocky Wins Photographic Award

China Love

General Notices